Thursday, October 3, 2013

DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT

These are the ingredients for one of my all-time favorite recipes.  Curried Chutney Cheese Pate.  This recipe comes from “Thirty Years at the Mansion, Recipes and Recollections” by Liza Ashley.  I had the privilege of volunteering alongside Miss Ashley in the Mail Room at the Clinton for President National Headquarters in 1992.  We had a tremendous experience!  And she can cook.  Everything I've tried in the cookbook has been delicious.

I need to grab my Paul Simon, Graceland CD, and head on down the road tomorrow.  "I'm going to Memphis, Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee," to paraphrase Mr. Simon.  Roll across the Mighty Missisip and soak up the unique Southern hospitality offered in the city on the banks. 

Hopefully, I will return home a winner.  Two years ago I placed in my first poetry contest.  Now I can refer to myself as an award-winning poet.  The Mid-South Poetry Festival begins with a dinner tomorrow and a day of festivities on Saturday.  Of course, I will be crossing my fingers and toes and if I don't win anything, I will still keep writing my poetry. 

This dish is easy and travels well.  It is always well received and even liked by folks who say they don't like curry or chutney or cheese.  It is that good!  I made the little pate for testing purposes as I will add the chutney and onions on my big dish before the party.  Burt always loves this yummy appetizer but it's not something I would make for just the two of us.  Makes a big batch.

My 2000 New Year's party girl is one of my favorite spreaders.  She is in a set of four revelers all lifting the beverage of their choice.  Someday, when I am very old, I will pass them down to my grandchildren as a memento of Grandmother's inner party spirit.  Not party-ing spirit.  A spirit of party-like attitude, kinda' like Memphis and Beale Street at 3 a.m. when the trumpet player jumps up on your table to toot his horn.  That kind of fun!  Life's too short - that's why appetizers and dessert courses should be one.





CURRIED CHUTNEY CHEESE PATE

 

16 oz. cream cheese

2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

1 jar Kraft Old English Cheese

3 tablespoons sherry

1 teaspoon curry powder

½ teaspoon salt

1 ½ 8 oz. jars Major Grey’s Mango Chutney

Green onion tops, finely sliced

 

Beat together at room temperature cheeses, sherry, curry powder and salt.  Spread on a serving platter, shaping into a layer about ½ inch thick.  Spread chutney thickly on top, almost to cover.  Before serving, sprinkle with green onions.  Serve with buttery cracker like Town House.
Doesn't need much salt at all.

signed,

a lady who has already seen the Jungle Room
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment