Saturday, October 12, 2013

OH BOY, THE DUST HAS SETTLED


Cate hasn't been home since Christmas and the bathrooms are the closest they have been to being completed, just some fine minor details.  The wonderful thing about a daughter is she is happy just to be home, even if the place is in the earliest stages of Hoarders.  Instead of finishing up while she sat in a chair watching, the two of us went shopping.  One day we all went to eat at her favorite catfish hole and tour the Oscar de la Renta Fashion Exhibit at the Clinton  Presidential Library.  The two of us traveled to have lunch with G.  Then we all enjoyed a three day tour to see more grandparents, her aunt and uncle and her old college stomping grounds, complete with football tickets.   

Before her arrival, Burt hung the huge medicine cabinet in the Master Bath, complete with my standing ovation.  The four bulb light fixture in Cate's bath finally arrived, properly sized.  The business did get the re-order in promptly so I will not have to say unkind words.  It's final placement did ellict a squeal or two.  I love bright, sparkly lighting.  The mirror in her bath is a special project.

One of my favorite ways of relaxing is to spend time walking up and down the aisles of my favorite flea market/antique store haunts.  Heart to hand anything, turquoise milk glass, unusual cobalt glass pieces I don't already own, primitive art and interesting books.  Recently, I purchased a pair of milk glass vanity lamps, a cobalt glass hand and a slightly chipped green Depression glass creamer for my makeup accoutrements.   

I was on my last excursion to look for a mirror before giving in and ordering a large plate vanity mirror.  Right this very minute, I am kicking myself because I didn't take a picture of this great mirror - before I painted over the lemon yellow paint. 

Of course, a mirror is easy to spot because the shine catches your eye.  I did have to move a couple of items.  But Eureka, I had found it.  The owner carried it up to the register for me but it wouldn't fit into my car.  A wonderful friend with a pickup truck helped me bring home the mirror the next day.  His kind assistance will be rewarded with Chicken and Dumplings or Chocolate Amaretto Bundt Cake.  But I am not currently in the kitchen mode, so I need to get with it soon.

The $52 wood framed, beveled glass mirror is now painted Sea Star and hanging in the guest bath and we love it.  I have to admit, I am very impressed with Burt's ability to get the mirror on the wall securely.  It is the icing on the cake.

Frankly, I had no idea of the dust output and accumulation that would be gifted upon this unsuspecting homeowner.  I'm sure there is a special op team that makes a living by swooping in and righting this disorder.  Little old me is plowing through the boxes of all the old, under the sink stuff like 15 year old hand lotion and ripping up contact paper decorated by spilled jewelry cleaner and an old, dried up bottle of  Black Purple Nail Polish that was not properly sealed before it was knocked over by a dusty bottle of Vanilla Essence Body Wash.  Work in progress.  But it will be clean and organized properly when I finish.

Speaking of dust, Cate left several thank you notes scrawled in the dust, which I do appreciate.  But the kicker was my own mother leaving her signature! 
 
   
   

signed,

a lady pledging to make a promise to dust

No comments:

Post a Comment