Tuesday, February 4, 2014

ONLY THE FOURTH OF FEBLUEARY



If anyone, anywhere is enjoying basking in the sunshine and sweating at the same time, you do not need to read this.  It is not often that a writer would turn away a reader but alas, if you fit the description you do not need my humble words written on this lovely day, in the land of icicles.  If you are basking and sweating, I would recommend something cool to drink with spirit.  For the rest of us, huddled around portable heaters with our backsides inched up to roaring fires, I am suggesting a good family stand-by.

Just to be clear, my mother is a wonderful cook.  She has the best batch of Nuts and Bolts (Party Mix), Meringue Chocolate Pies, Chopped Salad, Egg Olive Sandwiches and Pot Roasts, just to name a few. 

Mama's Spiced Tea.  It's not just for Christmas, you know.  My toes have been cold all day so I decided I would make a pot of coffee which is usually an excellent warming method.  And then this recipe popped into my head.

And this would also make an exceptional evening nog with a slip of Amaretto.


Hot Spiced Tea

1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 stick cinnamon
3 quarts water
6 Lipton individual tea bags
Juice of three oranges
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 cup of sugar

Add water and spices to 4 quart pot.  Bring to a boil, take off the heat and add tea bags; steep for at least five minutes.  Remove bags.  Heat fruit juices and sugar but do not boil.  Add to hot tea and spices.  Sometimes I add thin orange slices for decoration.  The cinnamon and cloves can by strained with a small strainer because the flavor will be too strong the next day.  Store in the refrigerator when not using. 

This will warm you all over and also make your home smell cheery, even in the dead of winter.

I'm off to my Razorback afghan, a good book and a big mug of Mama's Spiced Tea, the nog version.

P.S.  The hearts in the picture are decorations, just a part of my heart collection.  I wouldn't suggest serving them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment