Sunday, April 23, 2017

WHAT TO WEAR TO A SOUTHERN WEDDING



Poetry can be fun.  I wrote this when I was living high as Mother of the Bride.  One of the best times in our lives, full of love and joy.



I would not suggest black lace –
always out of place.
Considering the clime
this is not the time to favor a frock of cut velvet –
you would just melt in it!
If this rain keeps up for twenty-one days
raincoats may be all the rage –
with matching canoes in pastel hues.
Silk never failles but linen does wrinkle.
Why not a jersey knit in a floral print
or back to the 80’s for a lady-like chintz?
Of course,
you must not wear white.
White is reserved for the bride
even if her dress is growing tight.
My Georgia RaeNell has always been a size four-
nothing less and nothing more!
Your options are endless.
The responsibility stupendous!
But since I already have my dress
I am beyond this couture stress.
At this point I’m just along for the ride.
Hugs and kisses,
The Mother of the Bride


Amy Holt Taylor 5-2009


No comments:

Post a Comment