Thursday, April 29, 2021

IGNITED

 

A fleck of gold caught my eye –

the golden wings of a firefly

never to light and twirl above the summer lawn again.

By days end he would be carried off as trophy

or blown away in breeze.

I looked around for others

but no others could be found,

just this drying shell

of white light bands

a mystery for his tale.

 

A memory of nature occurred to me -

a wonderous sight to behold,

a road running through two fields

covered in quivering gold.

Deep in the country no spot of light,

just trembling, hovering in the night,

magic in the air

breathless to my core.

Not enough to light the road

but still the purpose

of casting shimmers in these fields

and I am so selfish to think

they would do it all for me.

What was the reason,

this miracle of chance

to see a million fireflies

ignite a field in dance?

Why? Would I ever know?

To step away from this beauty

wondered my soul.

 

My summer love and I

watched a storm snap across the sky.

In the lowering dusk

our world stood colorless,

darkened to the west

threatened by the east

the air was still.

No touch or word filled the void.

Lost in distant memories

each held our thoughts alone.

Two hearts were growing cold.

A spark against a tree.

Did you see?

The first of the night.

Should we make a wish?

Take a kiss?

In the seconds we took to think -

quick as lightening across the sky

twirled millions of fireflies.

We looked at each other -

quivering in gold.

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment