Tuesday, October 19, 2021

NO CHARM IN A THIRD TIME

 



Three years ago, we replaced our old deck with a larger, more attractive model. I love this time of year because I can take a cup of tea and sit on the deck and enjoy this perfect autumn afternoon. Maybe read a book.

Inside, the house is a few degrees cooler than outside. We haven’t “turned the air” on. That is our quirky way of saying we are messing with the temperature – hot or cold. But no heat yet in the house on October 19. I am carrying my floor heater with me from office to den to take the chill off.

Apparently, this is the year of the wasp. Angry wasp. There are editorials written and poems and articles.

We had the yard treated in September and found a big nest under the wonderful, new deck. It was quickly disposed of after all of the contents were deceased. Several people have suggested I tell my wasp story but there are so many others out there. How different can wasp incidents be?

I didn’t have my peppermint spray with me. Supposedly, if you Google what wasps don’t like, wasp don’t like the smell of peppermint. Oh, the lucky person who made that discovery.

Lovely autumn day waiting for the jeans to dry. Still a chill in my bones despite the heater. Since it is warmer outside, I make myself a cup of Constant Comment Tea which is a lot like spiced tea, add sugar and head out to the safe deck. My husband has been giving me regular wasp reports when he goes out to grill or sweep the deck. None to see.

I remember my first wasp sting. I was about seven, playing in a front yard tree where a few wasps resided. I poured mud on their nest and they rewarded me with a sting near my eyelid. My next sting was at my grandmother’s house. You always had to watch for wasps at her house. Like when you got in the bed. I leaned up against a window seat and it got me. My knee was swollen and hot and I went to the doctor.

A few years ago, I stepped on a sluggish wasp in my office. It was just wobbling on the carpet. No reaction except any injury on a toe or knuckle drives you crazy. Several years pass until the end of this summer.

My first two wasp stings were two weeks apart. Honest. I was standing in the exact same spot, wearing the same clothes and the same time of day. End of July. One was on my left forearm and the second on the back of my upper arm. The first was red and swollen and I went to the doctor because it was obviously not just a little sting.

The second sting caused my arm to swell inches past my elbow. And it was bad red and hard and hot. My doctor said I had had a severe reaction and I must carry an EpiPen. He puts me on steroids and cream. I won’t post a picture.

I am devastated. My daughter carried an EpiPen and I remember the mystery severe reaction that put her in the ER. Yes, I am glad to have the pen if I need it, but just the thought of needing it caused me to lose sleep.

I love to be outdoors. But there are stinging insects out there. I suddenly felt restricted, scared to step on our deck. I even made up Peppermint Spray – not to spray at the wasp but around the area where I am. I bought Peppermint Shampoo and Peppermint Soap.  

Wasps like trash and recycling and my ferns. And also, Constant Comment Tea. I had just gotten settled, a couple of feet from the previous wasp attacks, when this flash of black flies towards me and swoops up over the roof. I would know that swoop anywhere. I am out of there.

If I get stung again, I will probably have a panic attack and will be unable to distinguish it from the severe allergic reaction of not being able to breathe. I carry my pen with me everywhere, even if I were to go for a walk. I keep one in the house.

This pen is Epinephrine. It comes with its own special Trainer for Practice Only Pen. I don’t carry that. I can only hope I will be cognizant to use it myself or instruct someone how to jab my thigh and count a slow three. But once you inject the pen, you have to go the hospital. That is the best part about being out in the middle of nowhere if you do get stung.

Everyone raves about the ability to take the shot and I agree. I just disagree with some little flying wasp that can cook my goose. I am not ready to have my goose cooked or in such a manner. I don’t take out the trash or recycling or look forward to yard work.

The audacity of the angry wasp to send me running into the house. Guess I’ll go find my peppermint spray bottle. And get lathered up about something I have very little control over. Afterall, it could be peanuts or shellfish.    






No comments:

Post a Comment