Wednesday, June 29, 2022

EVERYDAY HOUSEWIFE IN SEARCH OF...

 In my recent scurrying around, I was thinking to myself "The Life of the Everyday Housewife." I came home and looked it up and found out it was sung by my Glen Campbell titled "Dreams of the Everyday Housewife." 1968. Now the exception and not the norm. My first blog starred Glen Campbell, my first heart throb. August 2013.Glen Campbell and "Wichita Lineman."  

I have been remiss at any regular blogging which started with the Pandemic but at one time I was fairly consistent. I stand at 198 blogs but as any good writer will admit, I have repeated and rearranged when needed. And six in that number are titled with ideas but not yet fully fleshed out.  Obviously, there have been postings at random. If you are reading this, thank you, thank you for reading and your time. Not as one locally famous newspaper columnist told me, "Thank you for your readership (dahling)" walking away from our conversation.

With the chill in the air the last few days, my housewife industry has been restored. Yesterday, I swept and then mopped the deck with an official deck scrubber. Google said OxiClean worked and it did. The deck had not been officially cleaned since before the Pandemic. I moved everything on the deck, front to back or side to side to get the job done. I washed two windows and hosed down the chairs and tables and cleaned the grill.  And unwittingly gave the dog a gleefully wet playtime. 

I had to walk down the deck stairs and unwind the back yard hose but the little metal sprinkler wouldn't come off of the end and I had to turn the water on and walk the hose with the sprinkler going, back up the stairs. Very small sprinkler head. I held the little sprinkler up to rinse. But I would slide it under the railing when not in use which sprinkled whatever was under the deck like a dog, running back and forth and then back and forth through a batch of heaped old leaves. There was my hour and half of rigorous work. New heart studies are all about how many hours of sleep and cholesterol and blood pressure. I check all the boxes but good exercise. 

I immediately came in and took two Tylenol which is  my miracle drug of choice. I cross-stitched for a couple of hours and then putzed in my office while doing some laundry. Deathtaxeslaundry. 

The question of the day. What's for supper? As my mother always said, I could go without but there are always three sets of eyes looking at me, wondering." Leftover cornbread sent me down the cornbread dressing route complete with sauteed chopped onions, bell pepper, and yellow squash. Served with cranberry relish. We sat down to eat and I exclaimed, "This is our meat free meal for the week." But K. reminded me we had already had our meatless meal the night before. Baked sweet potato, turnip greens and cornbread. 

Another cool morning. I knew it was supposed to be warmer so I better catch cool while I can. I put on my work clothes and headed out to detail my car which is parked in the driveway while the convertible eeks out the one clear spot in the garage. I had my daily wasp encounter when I opened the garage door. (Carry Epi-Pen for such encounters.) Packed my bucket with spray on glass cleaner, Tire Shield, Armor All Car Cleaner, paper towels and Dawn dish soap. Brillant idea. I used my new O'Cedar wring and twist cloth mop to wash the car. 

I walked around the side of the house to the snake pit. There has never been a sighting. Still, I would never go around to turn the front yard hose on again. I say snake pit because of all the rocks around the faucet. I attached the multipurpose nozzle that will turn off/on in different spray patterns. I finished the car and with a little pride noticed how little water I had used. Not even enough to make it to the end of the driveway. I left the hose on the side yard ready to water, not returning back to the snakepit. 

Whew! Worked up a thirst for a coke and two glasses of water. Took a shower. Sat down to call a friend and cool off. Made a grocery list for the holiday weekend. Hamburger meal. Steak dinner. Chicken and Mango Pasta Salad. Street Corn Dip. Stood up and back to the Tylenol. Out the door.

Gas is ten cents lower. Just give it thirty six hours. Pull up next to pump. Big, noisy truck pulls right in behind me. He will never get around me. I have a whole tank to pump. He leaves his truck RUNNING.  There is a skull sticker printed like an American flag on his front grill. Poor old Glory. 

Cleaners. Finally to the grocery store. Wearing my new Levi's Denim Bermuda shorts. Nice and long but above my knees. Cute shirt. Or so you think until you see your reflection in the opening store doors. Maybe there is a reason I don't go out in shorts. Oh well. Nothing can dim this productive day.

I can never find Cojita cheese in Kroger. I'll have to look elsewhere. Nice shopping trip. Two hundred dollars. Blue Bell was two dollars off. Even bought Brand Name chips. But no meat. Basics. Trash bags. Toilet paper - my Pandemic supply is almost zilch. Dishwasher pods. Cabbage. Grapes. Lemons. Limes. Apples. Mushrooms. Peanut crackers. Milk. Eggs. Butter. Dot's Pretzels. Etc. Etc.

Now I remember why I don't frequent this location. One line is open with about seven people waiting. I politely offer to help bag if she will send my things on down the line but Ms. Cheerful gladly bags almost everything herself. She is not very fast. 

Plan of action. Something I never do but I have ice cream and milk and eggs. I start the car with the air going (horn honks) and carefully put the cold items in the front floorboard and the rest on the back seat next to the dry cleaning. Because there is a new print which takes up most of the back of the car until K. takes it into work. Debate leaving my cart but cave into peer pressure. Head for home.

Quickly bring in cold items for the outdoor fridge. Head for the kitchen for the rest. Start to put up inside groceries and realize No Toilet Paper. About that time, feel the give of a box underneath my foot. Oh yea. My box of Little Debbie Birthday Cakes Ten Individual Cakes. Individual is very important. Not two packaged together. But really when have I stopped at one? I reach for sweets in the stress of life. Smushed little white cakes with sprinkles. Well, the TP is like two and half gallons of gas.

Grab a cold Coke Vanilla Coffee, cheaper than Starbucks and head out the door in afternoon traffic. What are the chances it will still be on my cart. None. And due to staffing issues, there is no one at the info desk. I walk back to my car empty handed. Four miles back home. Eight miles total trip. Still less than twenty miles per gallon. Start thinking about a song Lives of the Everyday Housewife. 

Come home. Think about a blog. Forget about fixing supper because I will come up with something. 

Look up song. The song is very dated and basically, the dreams of long ago compared with the present. I am pretty much an everyday house wife but I don't have time to sit around and dream. Campbell sings "She gave up the good life for me." 

Here comes the great hunter from another day at the office. First words to me are "When did the hose  break?"  No, I left it in the yard for watering plants. Well, the hose broke at a weak kink and water has been pouring down the yard, onto the street. All the way to the next curb inlet which is past two houses. I really think it must have happened recently. I would have noticed it when I was going back and forth to the grocery store. K. fixed supper tonight. We had meat.



"She looks in the mirror and stares at the wrinkles that weren't there yesterday. Thinks of the young man that she almost married. What would he think if he saw her this way?

"She picks up her apron in little girl fashion as something comes into her mind. Slowly starts dancing remembering her girlhood and all of the boys she had waiting in line.

"Such are the dreams of the everyday housewife you see anywhere anytime of the day.

"An everyday housewife who gave up the good life for me.

The photograph album she takes from the closet, and slowly turns the page.

She closes her eyes and touches her house dress that suddenly disappears and just for a moment she's wearing the gown that broke all their minds back so many years.

An everyday housewife who gave up the good life for me."






2 comments:

  1. Enjoyable reading , Amy! You are busy and energetic.
    Being an "everyday housewife" IS the good life...making time to take care of all the details that make a family happy and complete. The reward is knowing you have done a good job of this.
    I would rather wait longer for your good posts than read some daily forced message. Quality rather than quantity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comments! After all of my work during the week, I sat around for the holiday. I did fix a delicious Mexican Street Corn Dip I got from FB. Maybe I'll write about it sometime. I enjoy reading your recipes.

    ReplyDelete